Friday, July 21, 2006

Nature

I was just thinking about how interesting nature is. We go thru a long drab winter and then spring comes along and everything gets pretty again. I am especially surprised by things such as my red flame grape vine. In the spring, it looks like a dead t-shaped branch with no sign of a bud or anything on it as a result of the fall pruning. Then buds start to form and next thing you know it is growing about a foot a day until it looks like this. (That is my periwinkle bed in the foreground. It has already flowered this year. My hummingbird wind mobile is standing guard over everything.) Then, in a few months, the vine flowers, tiny grapes begin to form, and soon you have large clusters of grapes.
This is just a small portion of this year's crop which I picked this morning. Looks like we will have lots of table grapes to eat again this year. And this is only from one grape vine!

Thought I would throw in a picture of my turtle herd. Seems like every time I look, I have a few more. Who knew turtles could be so prolific.

2 comments:

Larry said...

Yes. We made some last year and they were really delicious.

Victoria Pittman said...

love the grapes! Makes me want to go back to Sonoma...